“My keyboard is my journal” – Pharrell Williams
In today’s hectic world where we can communicate with people around the world in a matter of seconds (and woe be tide them if they don’t respond IMMEDIATELY). Where we can order food and have it delivered to our homes 24/7. Where we tend not to switch off from our day jobs even when we are supposed to be spending quality time with our families. But there needs to be an outlet for us to clear our minds of the day to day clutter in a positive, fulfilling and life-affirming way… [rousing drum roll please] enter stage left JOURNALING ~ TADA!
The benefits of getting in the scribbling habit allows you to download your thoughts and feelings by putting them down on paper. I say paper, because if you use your table, pc or phone or other device that also receives emails and messages etc. you can easily become very distracting, taking your attention away from what you’re doing – the thought download.
Journaling is sooo simple and a really effective way of downloading your worries and mind-junk; leaving you lighter, more positive and able to sleep!
How to journal…
- Decide on a journal that you want to write in – and crucially is within your budget – together with a pen you like to write with
- Allow yourself time to scribble – make sure you have time uninterrupted to write in your journal
- Try journaling at the end of the day before you retire to bed. This will help you download the thoughts of the day to help you sleeping better
- Don’t worry if your thoughts are just ramblings – automatic writing if you like – it’s only you that is going to read it. So whether it’s what you really think of your boss or how you would have handled a situation differently just write it off your chest
- Eventually you can you your scribblings to set goals and challenges for yourself; as well as for the things that you’re grateful for